Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dup-dup and Bunny

Shortly after Claire was born, she showed an interest in thumb-sucking.  We encouraged her to take a pacifier instead (easier to take away later than a thumb).  As with Ethan, we have refused to call it a binky or any such cutsie name that might increase it's attractiveness-- we just call it a pacifier.  The result:  Ethan learned to pronounce "pacifio" at a young age, while Claire refers to the beloved object as "Dup-dup."  At age 20 months, she is still quite attached to her Dup-dup.  Whenever we sneak it away, she replaces it with rocks, hair clips, and other choke hazards.  If we take it away during church, no one can hear the talks over Claire's noisy talking and singing.  Now I know why Grandma Porcaro calls a pacifier a "plug!"
 
Claire with her favorites: Dup-dup, Bunny, and book
 
Minus the Dup-dup

Some of you may recall the crisis last spring when Claire's lovey (now referred to as Bunny-Bear 1.0) was tossed to the bobcats at the zoo?  Thanks to Amazon, we were able to replace her cross-dressing, bear-in-bunny-pajamas.  Bunny is the best-- you can use it like a pillow, suck on it's long ears, store a Dup-dup in it's hood... you can even use Bunny's ears to floss between your toes (did I mention Bunny is machine washable?).  Claire does not go anywhere without her little friend.   
 
Bunny floss
 
Bunny pillow
Bunny as Dup-dup

6 comments:

  1. so cute. I don't know what I wouldn't do without a plug.(we call it a plug too!)I try to take my kids away at 2 years and we usually replace it with something else. Logan was easy ashlyn not so much and Kennedy I think is going to be a little longer. It's just so nice to have when she is screaming or crying and Ineed to get shopping done :) Good Luck with that. Love the pictures what a sweet little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. Unfortunately for us, Ali chose the thumb, no matter HOW much we encouraged the pacifier. Although she only sucks on it for about 5 minutes just before nap time or bed time - it's still an attachment. YIKES!!! Claire sure is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so darling!! Sofie had her plug until New Year's Day, 16 months. It was giving her bucked teeth, so I took it. But she only used it in the car, at church and in bed, so it wasn't too terrible, just inconvenient to take it away. Her teeth already look better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a cute post! Katie sucks her thumb, a lot. I'm not sure what we're going to do. Her pediatrician said we shouldn't worry about it until she's 3, she'll be 2 next month. I try to show her "big girls" that are her/our friends and we talk about how they don't suck their thumbs. So we'll have to deal with it sometime. As a side note, at least Katie's already going poop in the toilet and tells me when she has to go! So that's one thing already done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Bunny can double as Dup-dup - what a versatile toy! James is attached to his pacifier as well (and like you we've always just called it pacifier). Our pediatrician also told us not to worry until age 3, but it still bothers me to see it. It is definitely nice for church though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Dawnell, she is so cute! And the zoo story, so sad but funny.

    ReplyDelete