Saturday, February 27, 2010

Wadi Bani Auf

In late February we went "wadi bashing" with some friends.  A wadi is a river bed that is dry part of the year.  I suppose that "bashing" is what 4WD vehicles do on unpaved roads.  Anyhow, we've seen a lot of beautiful wadis and mountains here in Oman, and I continue to be amazed!
Mountain man (David)
  
Mountain goats
School building--Talk about rural!
Just when I think we've left civilization, I discover that we are at a major junction for several small villages.
Ethan hiking through Snake Canyon.  Some areas were steeper than expected!
The texture of this rock was sooo cool.  I thought it looked like someone took a giant icecream scoop to the canyon walls.
  
Sharing the road with goats--makes me laugh every time!
The local mosque.  Claire knows a mosque when she sees one, and points them out wherever we go.
  
Lunch break - Ethan & friend
Graveyard - graves are marked with standing rocks
Beautiful mountain village of Bilad Seet
Village street
  
Carport 
  
Soccer field with a view!  From Oman to Jerusalem, we have found middle easterners playing soccer in unlikely places. 
View from the top
We drove down the other side of the mountain into Nizwa.  After stopping for shawarmas at a place across from the Nizwa Fort, we headed home to Muscat.  A perfect day trip.

2 comments:

  1. That does look like the perfect day trip. Love the pics of the great outdoors. The city in the mountains is beautiful. Looks like you are enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete