This spring was super-busy (so busy I didn't find time to blog about it until now!). Here are the highlights:
MARCH
Baby shower
Grandma and Grandpa Porcaro visit
Baby Audrey born
David defends dissertation (passes without revisions!)
Soccer begins with David coaching again
APRIL
David goes to New Orleans for 5-day conference
Claire's trip to Urgent Care for a twisted ankle; spontaneous recovery at McDonald's play area
Minnesota house-hunting trip
Atlanta Temple open house
Easter
David's last day teaching at UGA
David's last day teaching at UGA
MAY
Grandma Haberman and Emery visit
David goes to Montreal for 5-day conference
Dawnell's last day as Primary President
Ethan's preschool graduation
David's UGA graduation
Last Sunday in Athens 1st ward
Ethan's birthday and last visit with Dr. N
Dawnell's last day of work
Marigold Festival Parade
Pack the moving truck, ready for a road trip!
MARCH
Audrey's first bath at home with Grandma P. We sure loved having grandparents help and company as we added a 5th member to our family! They babysat, cooked, cleaned, washed dishes, took pictures and were happy and cheerful when we were sleep-deprived and out of sorts.
Just after David passed his dissertation... without revisions! Audrey attended the defense at 1 week old.
Adoring grandmother
One of MANY beautiful pics of Audrey taken by Grandma at 2 weeks
Grandpa & Claire on David's scooter
Three generations of Porcaro boys (imagine the teasing and puns that went on that week)
David coached Ethan's soccer team again this season since there weren't enough volunteers.
It was a rough season for the "Fighting Frogs." They were a young group. I don't think their team scored any goals. David missed several games and practices due to being out of town for conferences, etc. Ethan mostly hung out in the goal (there are no goalies in the Under-6 teams). But Ethan did become friends with this sweet little girl who was also in his CTR-4 class at church.
APRIL
Soon after David's parents went home to Utah, David headed to New Orleans with his good friend Bruce for an education conference. There was a music festival going on so they enjoyed free street concerts all week.
Jazz at Preservation Hall
Off of Bourbon Street (B-street was packed with drunken revelry)
David said this was the best (and most expensive) sandwich he's ever had. Shrimp and oysters, I think. (Meanwhile, I spent the day at the Urgent Care center with three kids. Claire twisted her ankle and refused to put any weight on it...at least, not until we went to the McDonald's play area next to the clinic. I think Claire actually enjoys going to the doctor. The nurse had cute pink scrubs and carried Claire to/from the x-ray room.)
Above ground cemeteries due to high water table
Beautiful house in lower 9th ward
The lower 9th ward is a poor area that was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. The map on this building shows where people from the neighborhood relocated to following the storm.
Some Mardi Gras Indians at the kite festival. The men spend all year making these costumes.
David and Bruce found out about a kite festival that was planned by a resident of the lower 9th to get kids and parents outside in the community.
Established in 1840, Antoine's is the country's oldest family-run restaurant.
David and Bruce enjoyed a 3-course fancy-shmancy lunch before heading home to Athens.
The stately dining rooms are lined with pictures of celebrities, former presidents, etc.who have dined here.
Two days after David returned from N'orluns, we went on a house-hunting trip in Minneapolis. Ethan and Claire stayed with friends during the 3 days we were gone, while 3-week-old Audrey enjoyed her first airplane ride. TIP: If flying with an infant, bring a pillow! She slept nearly the entire time.
Land-o-Lakes
Our real estate agent showed us about 30 houses in 2 1/2 days.
This one was our favorite from the beginning. :)
It snowed once during our April trip to MN. We came home to lovely spring weather in Georgia. Here we are at the Atlanta Temple open house. The temple underwent major renovation over the past 18 months. It was fun to show the kids what a temple looks like inside. Ethan absolutely refused to wear the plastic booties over his shoes, so he may have been the first person to tread on the new carpets.
Easter Egg Deco
Easter Egg Hunt!
David finished teaching classes in April...hooray! Here is one of his Computers in Education classes:
MAY
David had another week-long conference, this time in Montreal, Canada. We've been so busy this spring that he still hasn't told me about his trip! Here are a couple pics I found but have no explanation for:
Yeah, I don't know what this is about.
Fortunately for me, my mom and Emery came to visit while David was away. "Auntie Emery" got to experience being a big sister! Claire and Ethan sure loved having her around.
The girls!
Grandma H with Audrey
Early Mother's Day lunch at Last Resort Grill. This was the first restaurant I went to when we moved to Athens 4 years ago (salmon and grits... yum!). The fried green tomatoes and chocolate cake were excellent.
Happy Mother's Day! What a lucky mommy I am.
Preparing Mother's Day dinner
The following week was a big one with David's graduation from UGA and Ethan's graduation from preschool (see previous blog post). I was released from my calling as Primary President that week, too. I really enjoyed working with the kids, and made some great friends with the women I worked with!
Last day of work. After a 4-week maternity leave, I returned to work 2 days/week for the last 5 weeks of school. I've been blessed to have such a great part-time job at a nice school with great kids. I'll miss my peaceful 2-hour commute and all those books on tape, too.
Ethan turns 5. Ethan had his 5-year checkup on his birthday. He surprised Dr. N by reading and asking questions about items on his medical chart. We were sad to say goodbye to our favorite pediatrician. Dr. N was one of the first people to meet Baby Claire and Baby Audrey.
Dr. N administers the "magic rub" after Ethan bumps his arm.
We went straight from the doctor's office to Pittard Park to celebrate Ethan's 5th birthday! We got a pretty good turnout on two day's notice. I'm not a great party planner, but I think Ethan was happy with cupcakes at the park with friends from church and preschool.
Okay, if you've made it to the end of this blog post, then you are probably staying up too late, too! Time for bed.












































Yeah! Fun to see pictures of all these exciting events!!
ReplyDeleteWow, i love all the pics. you are a busy woman!! I will be having my third and moving in the next months...you give me hope!
ReplyDelete