Thursday, September 3, 2009

Jebel Shams - Grand Canyon of Oman

In early September we went on a day trip to Jebel Shams, the tallest mountain in Oman.  Fortunately, we have friends with 4WD because it was a steep climb!
Watchtower about 2 hours hour out of Muscat.
 
I think this was the cliff where the Grinch nearly pitched the sleigh full of presents.

   
It actually rained a bit, the only rain we've seen in 3 months.
Notice the old city on the hill.


Boys walking camels up the mountain.

 
Not much was separating us from the "Grand Canyon of Oman." 

 
Here's the Fulbrighter responsible for our fun travels!
 
Claire had fun playing with dirt and rocks. 

If we didn't have kids, maybe we would have spent the night in a tent on top of the mountain.  Notice the Omani men sitting down to their Iftar meal, breaking their daily fast during Ramadan.

5 comments:

  1. Cool pictures! I don't think I would have been able to stand so close to the canyon!

    That's cool that you guys are going to see things while you're there! How bad would that be if you were in Oman for so long and when you get back people asked you what you did and saw while you were there and you hadn't done anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing. You guys look so happy - I'm glad you're enjoying your time there and seeing the sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You guys seem so at home there. (And that is totally the Grinch cliff.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is so cool! What a great experience to be there and see all those things. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty jealous of those boys who get to walk a camel. But I'm even more jealous of you! Luckies!Damon and I would love to hike that canyon.

    ReplyDelete