On the other hand... we are excited to return to our cute little house in Winterville. I'm excited to have an attached kitchen and to not have to worry so much about keeping bugs out. The kids will be thrilled to see their old toys and books, and I'll be glad to leave some junky toys behind! And just think of all the cheap, kid-friendly foods that will be available-- cottage cheese, lunch meat, string cheese, applesauce, shredded mini-wheat, raisin bran (Walmart, I'm sorry for all those bad things I said about you!). We are also very excited to be within 2-3 time zones with our family members for making phone calls and going on visits.
Occasionally, the inconveniences living abroad can be frustrating. This is especially true at the grocery store, where most of the items I want are available, but some are priced so high that I can't bring myself to buy them (think $5 tortillas, $12 ham lunch meat, $1.25 can of root beer). HOWEVER, when items are close to expiry, I can find some great deals! Last week I went crazy at the Sultan Center grocery store, piling my cart high with great cereals for less than a dollar a box. We've now got more than enough cereal in our pantry to see us through the next 4 weeks!
Me in cereal heaven.
Nothing takes the edge off living abroad like a box of Kashi for 65 cents!


I am with you! I would have a hard time living with out my Kashi go lean crunch, my breakfast every day:)
ReplyDeleteWow! That is exciting! Glad you'll be back in GA! Hopefully I'll see you in July when I'm there :)
ReplyDeleteIt must be bittersweet to leave after such a wonderful experience there, but I know I couldn't make it 8 months without Mac & Cheese. My kids would struggle without it too :)
ReplyDeleteYAY for super deals! BOO for not being able to meet you. Have a safe trip home.
ReplyDeleteMy sister is living in Bangkok and sympathizes with the food situation. Her 17 year old cried when she realized she couldn't get her favorite cereals.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful experience for your family, frustrations aside!
It's so fun to read your posts! Good luck with the last month and traveling back home!
ReplyDelete